- Biological Inventions
- Brand Valuation
- Constitutional Law
- Consumer Law
- Copyright Infringement
- Copyright Litigation
- Digital Right Management
- Educational Conferences/ Seminar
- Fashion Law
- Hi Tech Patent Commercialisation
- Hi Tech Patent Litigation
- Intellectual Property
- IP Commercialization
- IP Licensing
- IP Litigation
- IP Practice in India
- IPAB Decisions
- Legal Issues
- Media & Entertainment Law
- News & Updates
- Patent Commercialisation
- patent infringement
- Patent Licensing
- Patent Litigation
- Patent Opposition
- Patent Rule Amendment
- Pharma- biotech- Patent Commercialisation
- Pharma/Biotech Patent Litigations
- Section 3(D)
- Telecom Law
- Trademark Litigation
IIPRD, this year, with the support from Khurana & Khurana, Advocates and IP Attorneys (K&K), and Sughrue Mion PLLC, has launched a one of its kinds competition in India on Patent Drafting called as “National Patent Drafting Competition” or NPDC to promote development of Patent Drafting as a Skill Set and encourage more and more technical people to take up Patent Drafting as a Professional Competency, along with identifying and encouraging Top Patent Drafters in Country.
The competition took place from 01st September 2015 to 20th September 2015 wherein IIPRD disclosed three invention disclosures in technical domains of (i) Chemistry/Pharmaceutical/Biotechnology, (ii) Mechanical Engineering and (iii) Electronics/Software Engineering on its website for the above mentioned time period. We had kept First and Second Prizes in each technical domain with the First Prize amounting to INR 1,00,000/- and the Second Prize amounting INR 50,000/-.
We got tremendous response from the participants all across India. The participants were spread across all sectors including law firms, patent searching firms, companies, institutes, independent professionals, among others. We received 81 patent specifications in Pharma/Chemistry/Biotech domain, 47 patent specifications in Mechanical domain, and 33 patent specifications in Electronics/Software domain.
The evaluation was done collectively by representatives from each International Law Firm and Khurana & Khurana, IP Attorneys, coordinated by IIPRD. Broadly, the marking criteria were based on a combination of numerous factors such as flow of the specification, scope covered through embodiments, claim drafting strategy, and accurary of technical coverage. For example, for Chemistry/Pharma invention disclosure, the following marking criteria was set up:
- Detailed Description of Uses/ Methods of uses
- Coverage of Salts, isomers, compositions, dosage etc.
- Background: Description of Prior Art and description of the need of the art
- Claims and Claim Strategy
- Coverage and Detailed Description of Markush Structure
- Definitions of all terms and variables
- Detailed Description of Synthetic Processes
- Detailed Description of the Examples section– Chemistry and Biology
- Overall Quality of the Descriptive Language
- Parts of the specification, Format, Title, Abstract
After following a rigorous evaluation process in each category, we identified the following winners of the First and Second Prizes:
All the winners were intimated individually on their email IDs along with public announcement of the winners list on our website on 25th September, 2015. We once again congratulate big time to all the winners!
We look forward to announce NPDC 2016 next year!!